What ingredients can I fill my ‘lickitoy’ with?
Try any new ingredients in your presence in small quantities prior to stuffing into your pup's enrichment toys. This way you ensure your pup does not have A.) An allergic reaction to any new ingredients or B.) Tummy upsets. Every dog is different and not everything will agree with every dog. Also, let’s remember that moderation is key! And if you’re ever unsure, please consult your vet.
Sweetener free – this ingredient comes up as “xylitol” on product labels. Please be aware that artificial sweeteners (xylitol) are toxic to dogs.
Wet Ingredients or “Binders”: Excellent for using to “bind” inner stuffing ingredients together, or spread on lickimats!
- Peanut butter (xylitol free, best is just plain with no additives)
- Applesauce (sugar and sweetener free – you can make it in the instant pot!)
- Low fat Cottage Cheese
- Plain Greek Yogurt
- Plain Cream Cheese
- Mashed Banana
- Soaked Kibble (in water or broth)
- Pure Pumpkin puree (not to be confused with pie filling)
- Organic baby food (with dog safe ingredients – always read the label. Ensure there is no onion/ grape/chocolate/ sweetener).
- Mashed Sweet Potato (cooked)
- Purees (i.e. carrot puree, green bean puree, you name it)
- Coconut Oil (be mindful not to fill your whole Kong/ lickimat, or you’ll have a dog ready for a poop break!)
- Bone Broth
- Liver paste
- Egg (raw, hard boiled/diced)
- Canned Tuna